Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reflections of a Veteran

I have heard "Don't drink the water", "Dominican time", "Hola, como estas?", and so many other phrases beyond the legal limit, or what I think should be the legal limit. The thing is, all the different phrases and experiences culminate from something dull, monotonous, and wearisome into something exciting, and full of energy with something new and unexpected around every twist and turn of a journey full of interesting bends. Yes, all of this previous hub-ub is all about the 4-H Dominican Republic Service Trip.

Last years trip was as expected. They, as in Carol and Christine, told us all about how we would be operating on Dominican time and what to expect from the trip. And all that was expected happened with a few kinks but nothing more. It was a satisfactory trip. Better than any other camps or trips that I have been on but still lacking a spark. This year on the other hand, I experienced a lot more of the culture of the area. Whereas last time I would think, "Oh look a very large basilica with modern architecture." This year I was thinking something like, "It is amazing how they pieced together metal and stone to create this beacon of sanctity for all the traveling pilgrims around." Last year I went in and was just faced with the plain picture of the culture. I saw how they lived and everything else about the culture but this year I saw the world behind the picture. Instead of gazing solely at the meat hanging on pegs with flies all over it, I noticed how small the butcher shops were and how many there were. In one phrase I would say that it was like I finally opened my eyes.

I have grown to love the Dominican Republic over the last two years and just breathing in the air walking down a road there I would feel relaxed and calm for once in my life. Even parts of the language comes easy to me. I can get a conversation going until after the whole 'Hola, como estas, bien, y tu' part. But that setback has made me want to try even harder to learn the language. Because of all this I have decided that I would like to major in International Studies when I go to college. Maybe a minor in Spanish would both improve my espanol and direct me to the countries that I love so much. Latin America and a bit of Spain.

To any and all who read this I would say to recommend this trip to anyone and everyone you know. It is beyond counting how many opportunities can rise out of this one week of mind boggling adventure. Maybe adventure is too strong of a word or maybe it isn't - to me it is just exactly what this trip was. There was no Indiana Jones cracking his whip while riding across the Sahara on a camel or anything but it was an adventure nonetheless.

Jon Vaus, Highland County

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I forgot to post my name with this...I am Jon Vaus from Highland County Virginia and a proud supporter of this trip.

    ReplyDelete