Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reflections - Chase Smith



What an incredible journey once again to the Dominican Republic. This was my third year participating in this 4-H experience. Last year when I was getting on the plane to leave I was already waiting to come again this year. It is such an honor to be able to go on trips such as this one. I learn more and more things about myself each year: becoming a role model, a leader, and most importantly having fun and living every moment like it is your last. This year I was looking forward to coming again, just as much as other years I have attended. I was thrilled to see all my Dominican friends again. The day camp this year was spectacular, I don’t believe it could have gone any smoother or fluent. I was glad to see familiar faces smiling ear to ear knowing that they were going to have a great time this year. I can not thank all the Dominican teens enough for all the help that they provided us. Without them I don’t believe we could have a day camp and do other things that require their assistance! We depend on them every day of the week for them to be there with us. I respect them for everything they do.


One of my most rewarding days is the service project day, because after all the work is done I can look back and see how much of a help it was and know that I made somebody’s day better. When I was mowing along the fence at the school I noticed many people staring and looking at me. All of them were smiling at me; I even had a teenage boy give me a thumbs up!


The trip to Higuey hits me so hard every year, mostly because it makes me wonder about the comparison between my life and theirs. No matter whom it is every time I passed someone on the street they would smile, wave, and respond with, “HOLA!” This program lets me look at the big picture, I have a perfect life compared to what many others have, and they would love to have what I have.


Another one of my favorite events is going to Jean Paul and Joanna's home. This was the second year that they have invited us. We always have a great time, dancing, hanging out with friends, and enjoying a scrumptious Dominican-style meal prepared by their mother. I can't believe how kind their parents are to invite seventeen people to their house! They have also told us that they are planning to come to Virginia this December. I am thrilled to have them come to Virginia!


One thing I will never forget is on the second day of day camp during lunch there were not enough chairs for all the campers and counselors and so I just kneeled down beside one of the two tables our group was at. Then a cute, little boy, Edwin (pictured above), who was in my group, got up from another table and brought his plate over, sat it on the table beside mine, then walked back over to his table and dragged his chair over to where I was kneeling. He sat down and scooted to the side edge of the chair and then patted on the opposite side of the chair telling me to sit with him. I could not believe what just happened. He is the kindest kid I have ever met, I took him under my wing the two days he was there, he always wanted to be with me, and he was like a kid of my own. This showed me that they appreciate what we are doing for them and that they care about us, the counselors, as well!


I would like to thank all my family, friends, businesses, and especially the Virginia 4-H; it was an awesome week, full of work, fun, excitement, and tears with the goodbyes. I really hope to return next year if my college schedule works out. I also want to especially thank the teens and chaperones that also went, you all made it the best week of my year, I had a great time with all of you!


Thanks for another fantastic year,


Chase Smith, Bath County

No comments:

Post a Comment