Friday, July 29, 2011

Reflections from a 4 Year Veteran


What an amazing week in the Dominican Republic. I once again had the privilege of traveling to the Dominican Republic for the fourth year in a row. Although I have been three previous times the sights, sounds, and smells never get old. Every time that I have gone to the Dominican Republic my appreciation for the smallest things has grown stronger and stronger. The impact that this program has had on me is incredible and I am certainly a different person because of it.

The moment we landed in the Dominican Republic I felt as though I was at home. When we got to see our Dominican friends it was like a family reunion. The moment we saw one another there were hugs and handshakes and welcomes exchanged between everyone. The Dominican teens have helped me so much through out all of my trips and I would have certainly been lost without them. They are always so willing to help out and to translate anything for us. They definitely are one of if not the main reason this program runs so smoothly.

Our service project went great. We were able to plant around 100 trees on the school property and replant about another 7. This was by no means an easy task. Their ground is composed primarily of limestone so it took a while to plant the trees and in some spots it was impossible. We would have needed a jack hammer to get through all the rock that was in some spots where they wanted to have some trees planted; seeing as though we had no jack hammer we changed the tree location. While on a water break I was talking to a Dominican teen and she over heard a local talking outside the fence and she said that the local said “hey look, Americans can work too!” I took this as a compliment because most people see Americans as lazy and for them to see us out there working was a good thing. After our service project we went to deliver our school supplies we collected and to walk through the town. The teacher of the school was so thankful to receive everything and I gained a greater appreciation for being able to have the simplest school supplies. Walking through the town was also another example of just how appreciative Dominicans are of the smallest things. While walking we handed out candy to them and they were so happy. It’s just so rewarding for me to see them smile and know that we probably just made their day by giving them several pieces of candy.


On the first day of day camp I had a wonderful experience. I was outside throwing Frisbee with a Dominican teen when I heard a voice call my name. I turned to see who it was and it was my favorite day camper from last year, Grendi!! The reason this was such a great experience was because I must have had some impact on him in order for him to remember me. This was a very satisfying experience and one that I will never forget. I don’t think I fully understand the impact that each one of us counselors has on the Dominican children’s lives. On the last day of day camp each child receives a gift bag containing crafts they made over the two days and other things such a stickers, pencils, bouncy ball, etc. The smile that comes across their face when they look in that bag is priceless. They are so thankful for simple things like pencils, stickers, and bouncy balls. Most American children would frown at the fact that they got pencils and stickers but these children are elated. They are happy to get anything and they are so thankful.

We all take for granted our simple ability to have fresh and pure drinking water without even thinking twice about the idea that it could be infested with all kinds of harmful bacteria. For the majority of people in the Dominican this is a constant concern. Although they most likely know that their water is filled with harmful bacteria some must drink it because they have no other means to get water. It’s so sad to see and to think about how many people are drinking this water and how many people will get sick and possibly die from it. It’s as though one thing every human must do to stay alive (drink water) is deteriorating their health. I am now more than ever, thankful for every drop of water that I drink because I know that it’s pure and I don’t have to worry about it containing any harmful pathogens. I just wished that every American could see just how fortunate we really are.

Another thing that I am now thankful for that I never really thought I would be is our waste management system. Walking through the local town and city of Higuey made me realize just how fortunate we are. The streets we filled with trash of all kinds and discarded food. Even if they were to put all the trash in trash cans there would still be no collection service and the trash cans would eventually overflow into the streets once again. It is sad to see all the trash that litters the streets and the kids who walk around barefoot.

Due to this program I feel as though I have grown leaps and bounds as a person and as a citizen of the United States. I am now so thankful for the smallest things and don’t take anything for granted. Also, I realize now that when things aren’t going my way and I think that things couldn’t get any worse I know they can and I just need to be appreciative for what I have because in the grand scheme of things my life isn’t bad at all and others would do anything to live the life I have.

By: Bryan Liskey, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment