Monday, July 18, 2011

Betsi

There have been many firsts this week and today proved to be no different. I held an iguana, worked at a day camp, and met some of the most amazing pint sized individuals. To be honest, I was a tad pretentious about the whole "camp" experience. In my 8 years of 4-H I have never been to a camp, save for the occassional weekend get-a-way, and I wasn't sure how the 42 kids would react to 12 teenagers from Virginia. Boy was I surprised. The Dominican campers, while shy at first, were soon playing Uno, Jenga, and much more when we began our opening games.

I was a counselor for groupo tres and it was fairly large. Our team consisted of George, Savannah, Johanna, and myself. Together we worked with our campers on picture frames, water cups, tie-dying, and a trip to the iguana and animal farms proved to be more than interesting. I would be remiss not to say that the age difference and language barrier proved to be no deterrence when the campers wanted or needed anything, and for that I was glad. Never was there a dull moment was to be found with our group. They were loud, boisterous, and exiteable, but all in all great kids. One girl, by the name of Betsi, is one of my favorite campers. We painted and drew together, tossed water balloons, and played frisbee - all the while communicating through smiles and hands. She spoke no English, but that made no differende when it came to just playing together.

I learned quickly that there are a few girls and one boy in my group that are bilingual and they were more than willing to translate. Even when I couldn't find anyone to help me speak with a camper I was amazed at how much campers could understand from simple gestures and phrases. Never again will I underestimate the power of body language and facial expressions. The campers were such great sports and were never frustrated when I couldn't understand. I'm fairly sure, "No comprende", was my phrase of the day.

Overall, I had a fantastic first day as a counselor. My hands are stained with tie-dye, I have paint and marker up and down my arms, and I am contentedly tired. I cannot wait for tomorrow's pool day and I am looking forward to seeing all of the campers again!

Contributed by - Hallie Harriman, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment