Friday, August 26, 2011

A Trip Filled With "Firsts"

The trip to the Dominican Republic was an amazing experience! As this being my first year going, I know I learned a lot and brought a lot of great memories back with me. There were a lot of firsts for me: first time flying; first time outside the US; first 4-H representative from Alleghany county; and first time using my Spanish outside of the classroom. Meeting so many new people and trying so many new things was something I’ll never forget.

The kids’ day camp at the biodiversity center was probably the most fun for me. Even though it was my first year, by the end of the first day all the campers and counselors were like old friends. The campers also taught me an important lesson; to appreciate the small things. Even though they did not have a lot, they always came in with smiles on their faces. I noticed that almost everywhere we went, everyone was always smiling. That really opened my eyes and showed me how lucky I am for all that I have.

As much as I enjoyed the day camp with all the campers, one of the best days for me was the service project day. Planting trees and cleaning the yard at the Polytechnic High School was very rewarding. At the end of the day it was nice to look around and see all we had accomplished. Although it was hot and everyone was tired, it was worth it to know how much the work was appreciated.

Going to the city of Higuey was definitely an……….adventure! It was pretty much the complete opposite of the area in Punta Cana where we were staying. When you get to the resort the first day, you imagine that all of the Dominican Republic will look that beautiful. When we first arrived at Higuey, I had to do a double take to realize that this was the same country that I was in a few hours before. Seeing all the poverty made me remember that I was in a developing country.

I would like to thank everyone that made this trip happen; I wouldn’t have had this incredible adventure and opportunity without all their help. It was an absolutely amazing week that was fun, exciting and full of hard work and amazement. I made new friends, both in the Dominican Republic and with the other teens from Virginia, all of with whom I’ll keep in touch. I recommend this trip to others so they can have the same amazing time that I did helping others, speaking Spanish, and learning about another culture. I understand why others return year after year; I honestly can’t wait until next year!

Savanna Herr – Alleghany County

No comments:

Post a Comment