Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dominican Republic 4H style

I had the privilege this summer of traveling as a chaperon with the 4H group to to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. To be honest though I was eager to go and see for myself this wonderful country, I was worried that I might not be able to stand the heat or would get sick and wind up being a nuisance rather than a help. This was the first trip out of the US that I had taken in over 16 years. The first vacation in 6 years. Thankfully I found that I'm still a pretty good traveler and still flexible enough to get out of my comfort zone and be able to enjoy experiencing new cultures and foods. My fellow travelers were a wonderfully compatible group. The adults were cheerful, flexible and hardworking. The teens were polite, responsible, caring and enthusiastic. Cudos to Christine and Carol for putting together such a wonderful group to travel together.

On our arrival at the Punta Cana resort we were greeted like returning family by staff members and the Dominican teens who had helped out with earlier trips. Throughout our stay the Dominicans we encountered were friendly, helpful and very tolerant of our attempts to speak Spanish. The Dominican teens and VA teens blended together with wonderful ease. Several of our teens were on their second, third or fourth trip to the Dominican but even the US and Dominican teens that were new to the program fell into an easy friendship that was wonderful to see.

The day camp was a bustle of activity and hard work that was rewarded by the happy smiles of the children and their parents. It also proved that kids are kids the world over. They like to smile, play games, make things, toss water balloons. They run when you want them to walk. They are eager to be first in line. They love the attention of older kids and adults. They like to be hugged and have their picture taken. The messier the craft, the better they like it. They get restless when they are having to sit and listen. I could go on but I think anyone who has helped with a day camp, vacation Bible school or any kids activity gets the picture. Anyone who wants to go on this trip need not worry about what the kids at day camp will be like. They are just kids who happen to speak Spanish and you can't help but love them.

The trip to the school for our service project and to the little elementary school to deliver supplies really makes you wonder why we need so much to educate our children. Seeing many of the houses, transportation and shops make you wonder why we as a society need so many "things" to feel we have the proper lifestyle. Even the nicer homes are more simply constructed and furnished than our homes. I traveled a lot as a child and have seen and experienced first hand before third world conditions so some of the scenes came as no surprise to me but they did serve to remind me once again how fortunate I am. It was interesting to see the impact of the sights and smells of the farmer's market, the schools and the street kids had on the teens in our group and to hear their comments in the evenings on the day's events.

I have rambled on long enough I think. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country. The people are warm and friendly. Through this program the 4H and the USA have a wonderful ambassadorship to another country. I do hope it will be possible to continue it for many years to come so more teens will have the benefit of this experience.


Ellen Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment