Friday, August 26, 2011

Beyond the Language Barrier

This past July I was part of the group that got to go to the Dominican Republic to do a 4-H Day Camp and a service project. When we arrived, I thought to myself, "I can not wait to go out into the community and see how people live here." But when we were able to do that, it affected me more then I thought it would. I was able to see how the kids lived there, and it was hard to watch. But when they saw us, their faces seemed to light up. It was great to see how much we cheered them up just by giving candy and playing soccer with them.

Then when we had the two days of Day Camp, it was a wonderful experience to see how we all got along. Even though there was a language barrier, we were able to communicate and have a great time. All the kids loved being outside and also being involved in the whole camp experience. Overall, it was one of the best experiences of my life and I can't wait until next year.

Kathryn Flynn, Shenandoah County

No comments:

Post a Comment