Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Chaperon's New Perspective

Thinking back to my trip to the Dominican Republic, I have a lot of great memories. First the adults and teens that went from Virginia and their love and open hearts to all they met. There could not have been a better group of people to represent 4-H or Virginia. They will be with me forever.

Next the people we met in the Dominican Republic were so nice and friendly. The Dominican teens we worked with were outstanding and will be great leaders in the future. Both groups of teens worked together as a well oiled machine.

The children at day camp were so happy and grateful for what we did for them and were fun to work with. The food was great, the beaches and the resort were breathtaking. I loved every second I was in the Dominican Republic. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

Something that I was not planning on getting from this trip was the change of the way I see my life and my future. In February of this year I was told I have cancer and my first thought was why me what have I done to get it a young age and I was feeling a little sorry for myself and was feeling down. Even knowing that in October, with surgery it will be taken care of and I will live life normal again. After this trip I no longer ask why me, but Thank You God for what I have and what I will have.

It hit me when we were walking through the open air farmers market and I looked around and saw the chicken and the pig meat hanging out in the open with flies on it and the meat turning a dark color, and the smell that no words can come close to describing. How do the people keep from getting sick I ask myself. What if they get cancer will they even know or be treated or will they die in the 50's or 60's of this type of cancer that it will take me six weeks to get better from. How lucky I am to live where I do and to have the things I have. I, like all Americans, complain about the weather, taxes, the government and anything else that may hit us. I will never forget seeing the half clothed children in the streets and their faces light up when we gave them penny candy. Or the elementary school we delivered school supplies to that was hot and did not have a single fan or lights. Or seeing a child drink water that has been contaminate by their own sewer. This was life changing for me.

A salesman in the Dominican Republic gave me a free cheap necklace if I came to look at his items he was selling. I never wear jewelry. When I got home I put the necklace on and will never take it off. This is to remind me of this trip forever and the great people I went with and met. And most of all it will remind me of how lucky I am for where I live and what is offered to me and will pray for those who don't have what we have.

Submitted by: Richard Funkhouser, Shenandoah County
2011 Dominican Republic Chaperon

No comments:

Post a Comment